Friday, November 4, 2016

Life

Life. It touches everyone. Some for a brief second, others for many decades. It is sometimes dignified, sometimes dull, but aways fragile. A gift. There are times in life that make you question: what is the true meaning of life? is there life after death? Sometimes these questions can be answered during the simplest of moments. I had one of those moments this past week. As my dear grans health started to spiral into decline, I had many opportunities to sit with her and ponder life. Hers. Mine. If you have ever had a doubt about life after death, sit with someone who is preparing to leave this life. It is a very humbling experience. As I watched over my gran slipping in and out of sleep, holding her hand, I couldn't help but parallel that experience to the experience of a new baby. In the one case the life is brand new and loving parents hold their sleeping child close as they quietly comtemplate its future. They do for their child all of the things that the child is unable to do for themself; feed, bathe, clothe, and hold them with a feeling of reassurance and love when words fail. At the end of life, we come full circle. Now, instead of thinking of the future, we look back on the great life and accomplishments of our loved one. As I sat last week, feeding my grandma, I looked up at her calender and saw a picture of a happy baby, getting ready for a meal with the quote: "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be love." It's true. This amazing woman before me had been that happy baby in that picture. She was loved and doted upon then later in life she had the opportunity to have babies of her own then grandchildren and great grandchildren to love and now at the end of her life she is having that love come back to her. My grandmother was loved, a lot. She was a kind and giving person who loved her family more than anything else in the world, and I think all of my family members felt that love because she always told us how proud she was of us and our accomplishments. She will be missed but thought of often and fondly. She was a great role model for me and I will always hold in my memory the times just her and I spent together, laughing and talking and enjoying each others company. Whether my life ends up being short or long, I know it will be happy because it is my privilege to have people like my gran in my life who love me and teach me love in return. Thanks for the lesson, gran.

1 comment:

Susan Scholes said...

Sorry for your loss. Grans are the best. She knew how much you loved her. It is nice that she moved closers so you were able to see her more.