Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Music: The Good

Ahhh, Christmas. I love Christmas! I love Christmas music! Nothing gets me in the spirit of Christmas quite like snow and music. I have been wanting to post my top 15 Christmas Songs list for some time now but I just haven't had a second to sit down and think about it. Well, I found a little time today! Without further ado, here is basically (I only had 10 minutes and it was a lot of pressure!) my top 15:

#15- Marshmallow World

I like all of the versions of this song, this is my favorite! It is just a fun song!

#14- Christmas All Alone- The Lettermen

This was one of my very favorites as a kid, when I got older, I didn't like the ending much but it is such a beautiful song and one only done by one group! I am glad it hasn't been picked up by the likes of Justin Bieber!

#13- Baby It's Cold Outside

I love Zooey, she sounds like Judy Garland. I haven't heard a duet of this I haven't liked....yet. Rod Stewart does it great!

#12- What Child is This (Greensleeves)

I am not a huge fan of the singing version of this song but there is nothing like two gypsies playing it on a guitar and a violin!

#11- Angels We Have Heard On High

I love this version the very best, straight from out of the hymn book! There is a horrible, horrible version done by Neil Diamond that sounds like everyone is mad, definately not my favorite!

#10- What Can I Give You This Christmas- The Letterman

Oh yes, The Lettermen have made it on my list yet again. Again, they are the only ones that I know of that sing this sweet little Christmas song. It is just so great!

#9- Lucy and Linus

Nothing can get me into the Christmas spirit like a little jazz piano and dancing like you are a character from Peanuts! My favorite dance is the one where you keep your head down and shuffle your feet and move your neck, like the little twin girls!

#8- Christmas in Sarajevo

So great!

#7- Sleigh Ride

You really can't go wrong with this song! Every time I hear it I am reminded of my Grandma Welker frantically playing it on the piano, she does an amazing job of it if she has a fast page turner. This is my favorite version.

#6- Anything Ella Fitzgerald Sings

I know that is a lot of Christmas songs but seriously, Ella can sing some serious Christmas tunes! I couldn't even pick a favorite so I randomly chose this one, a great one with Bing.

#5- O Come, O Come, Emanuel

I have always loved this song. I sang it long ago for a Christmas program and wanted to know more about the lyrics and read up on it and was fascinated. It is so beautiful, just like out of the old lands. It also shows, politically, what my stance is with Israel :D.

#4- Merry Christmas, Darling- Karen Carpenter

What a very lovely song. When Karen sings, it sounds like she really means it. She does this one wonderfully. I heard Vanessa Williams attempt it the other day...fail.

#3- Silent Night

This is another one that I love to sing and listen to, I have sung it in German and in Spanish, I would love to learn it in old Irish. Also, it is another song with a wonderfully, beautiful story! Stevie Nicks' version is gross though.

#2- Last Christmas- Wham

Hahaha! Yes, I am so serious! Say what you will, I will always love this song! The boys at work know how crazy I am for this song. It is the only one I will actually sing out loud in public. I was grossed out when other people started singing it because, really, no one does it like Wham!

#1- Christmas Waltz- The Lettermen

This is by far, my very favorite Christmas song, it has been since I was a little girl. The memories I have of my siblings and I dancing and singing to this song and the whole album in our front living room with just the lights on the tree shining are some of my very best memories!

So there is is, my Good List. Wondering what's on my bad list? Only time will tell! What's your favorite Christmas song?

No comments: